Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Price of Humanity

By Ruhudeen Ali
September 6th, 2012


Yesterday I wanted eggs
to power my skinny legs
today I crave for chicken
as my body begins to lengthen

Years of supervision and play
sleepless nights with no pay
just to see me smile and be gay
I need a hundred pounds of meat a day
just to be bred and raised as a vicegerent of clay

But I have to build the mind before the spirit
and before the mind comes the body
so feed me tons of things
and do the same for my kin

Kill life to feed and grow mine
and destroy their homes that I may build mine
and rip off skins of animals to cover mine
and pillage the Earth to discover ores
to make tools to help with my chores
all these things I need of worth
just to make this all work

But wait, I still have more demands
I need a house and cars, plus trips to the sands of Qatar
I need an education to aid my contemplation
I need comfort in my deprivation
I need richness for meditation
that I may finally attain to that exalted station-

Still not there yet, the truth hasn't set
you see, we are the products of the sacrifices bled
for being in charge of this Home that was meant
to be the seat of vicegerency
incalculable is the cost to raise humanity

So you have to be the best that you can
it was the reason so much was given to you from the lands
for this high price we were raised
and the only way to pay back is to be worthy of praise

So reflect over all that went into making you
and secure yourself against what goes into breaking you
and live by what is best in the most honored hue
and praise God for Whom all praise is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are at the toll booth. I want your two cents.