Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Layers of Love

By Ruhudeen Ali
October 24th, 2011



Love me as a slave
I'll be your servant, that I may love you as my mistress
then let me be your chief
so that you may love me as my harlot,
therein lies the design of power and lust.


Love me as a subordinate
I'll be your laborer, that I may love you as my superior
then let me be your manager
so that you may love me as my worker,
therein lies the nature of duty and justice.


Love me as a fan
I'll be your groupie, that I may love you as my idol
then let me be your role model
so that you may love me as my zealot,
therein lies the rubric of attraction and admiration.


Love me as a student
I'll be your pupil, that I may love you as my teacher
then let me be your mentor
so that you may love me as my apprentice,
therein lies the essence of reverence and adoration.


Love me as an equal
I'll be your brother, that I may love you as my sister
then let me be your best friend
so that you may love me as my peer,
therein lies the fundamentals of friendship and respect.


Love me as a companion
I'll be your lover, that I may love you as my wife
then let me be your husband
so that you may love me as my spouse,
therein lies the cornerstone of fidelity and partnership.


Love me as a child
I'll be your son, that I may love you as my mother
then let me be your father
so that you may love me as my daughter,
therein lies the blueprint of guardianship and compassion.


Love me as a sinner
I'll be your devotee, that I may love you as my saint
then let me be your sheikh
so that you may love me as my disciple,
therein lies the foundation of grace and devotion.


Love me as a minion
I'll be your worshipper, that I may love you as my goddess
then let me be your lord
so that you may love me as my follower
therein lies the mystery of worship and piety.


Love me as a creation
I'll be your servant, that I may love you as my God
then let me be Your vicegerent
so that You may love me in my imagination,
therein lies the plan of love and existence.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is really nice.

Ruhudeen Ali said...

Thank You anonymous. Lots of ways to interpret this one. Hope you enjoy my poetry & thanks for stopping by.:)

Anonymous said...

Then let me be your sheikh...bahahahahahaha nice

Ruhudeen Ali said...

Note to the reader: Though I usually don't like to explain my poetry (in order to avoid giving it a "definitive" explanation as the author,) I will say that this piece is not necessarily spoken from the vantage of a single person (although it can be.) The point is that there are layers of love, some people can only relate to one stanza, two or three, but some can relate to all of them, and the role-reversal which is a theme in this piece is intentional in order to show that to truly love someone you must be able to love them from all perspectives. We are God's creature, we are somebody's child, brother/sister, nephew/niece, father/mother etc, in our capacity in these said relationships we love the counterpart but can we see them in our shoes and we ourselves in theirs? Can we, in our love, brave to see our loved ones beyond our concrete relation to them in place of a more abstract relation? Can I not only love my mother as my mother but can I love her as I would my child who I take care of (though she obviously is not)? Love is not a thing to be bound and constrained to barriers. This is the message of this piece.

Post a Comment

You are at the toll booth. I want your two cents.