Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Star From Afar

by Ruhudeen Ali
September 11th, 2004

Glancing toward the heaven's twilight
I catch a glimpse of you; a lone star in the sky.
You send your signal to my eyes tonight
you tell me that your life may end tonight,
and suddenly the thought brings a tear to my eye.

It amazes me how, our great distance despite
I am still able to sense your plight.
Is it possible? Could it be
that our stories share similarities?
It makes me question and wonder why
do all beautiful things die?

How is it that a star
can communicate with me
while being away so incredibly far?
Your light finally reaches me.

You allow me to see
all the suffering you endure.
Your twinkling affects me
my heart you allure!

Or is it that you merely assert your existence?
Like all the clamor I make, for instance.
Or perhaps you fancy your observers can save you too
but unfortunately all we can do is merely look at you.

Your luminous twinkling indicates the painful chaos inside.
But sadly none among your peers can help you, the universe wide.
How you call attention to yourself makes me examine myself.

My dear star, you see, your situation perplexes me.
Could it be true?
That you are like me
and I am like you?

If this feeble servant is saddened upon hearing your cries
how then does the Lord react if I were to implore?
For the Lord is not affected by distant ties.
Nay! For the greater the distance, He gives the more!

My lovely star, seeing you now gives me a sense of peace
that if your pleas can even be detected from afar, so can mine
would that I might, like you, become deceased.
I rejoice, in that instead of being heard by a worthless servant
I am heard by One who is Divine.

So my twinkling darling, sadly I can do nothing for you
except that on your behalf I pray
that despite all the suffering, you persevere and make it through
and remain in this world of lights to stay.

You have taught me that if even a star from afar can communicate
and despite being light years away have one who observes.
My chances of being heard are far greater when I supplicate
because, as the Lord's vicegerent, that I deserve.

I am indebted to you for the lessons you teach me:
That there is no distance between the hearts of the grieved.
That even on the other side of the universe can one find sympathizers.
That our tears are seen - makes me feel relieved.
For you cry to me and I cry to my Lord, the Wiser.

I can do nothing for you, but for us He can do all
to Him shall we turn, for all must fall.
So my dear this I do say: let us not forget.
Let us move on forward, and cast aside the shackles of regret!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are at the toll booth. I want your two cents.